Greetings From The United Arab Emirates

Hello! I am originally from Montreal, where I taught grade 7-9 Science as well as Biology and Chemistry.

I have been living in the UAE for the last four years. I teach Grade 8 Science for the Abu Dhabi Education Council, I work in a remote desert school were most students do not have internet at home, so that can present some challenges.  Most days are a challenge, but there is never a dull moment and I would not change any of the experiences I have had for anything in the world.  I teach Science in English to students whose first language is Arabic.  This is my LAST class in the MET program (!!!!)  and I am amazed how quickly time has flown, as well as how much I have learned in such a short period of time. I am an avid traveler and I am lucky enough to have been to some amazing places on this beautiful Earth.  My last adventure took me to Phuket, Thailand for a few days and was blown away by its beauty and the kindness of the people. The photo above was taken in Dubai and you can see the tallest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa in the background.

I would like to focus in teaching Math and Science as a second language and acquire more tools to help me improve my students success using technology, with the little resources we have.

I am excited to catch up and continue on my MET journey. Can’t wait to connect with you all.

1. Congratulations on being almost done! I have one more course after this one and then I will be finished also. That is so exciting. I am looking forward to hearing about your teaching experiences abroad, especially as I have been teaching my entire career in the same town in the same school. So happy to meet you.

Anne Winch

1. I know that feeling also. I taught at the same high school I went to in Montreal and many of the teachers that taught me ended being my coworkers and even my friends.

Nice to meet you,
      Haneefa

2. Wow! What led you to teach in the UAE? That experience must be so interesting and life altering in a way. Have you learned any Arabic since you have been there? I taught in Tokyo, Japan for 1 year early in my teaching career and I will never forget it, both the challenging sides of it and the experience itself. It is nice to meet you.

1. Hello Michelle,
      I had taught English in Japan about 13 years ago . When my school in Montreal closed, I decided that it was time to go abroad and teach again this time in my subject.

Haneefa

3. Welcome Haneefa and thank you for the fantastic picture. It will be great to learn more about you and your teaching in a remote desert school as the course progresses. Happy New Years to you in UAE, Samia

4. Hello Haneefa!
    Your story is so fascinating! I am one of those folks who is teaching in the school she graduated from– my wings have not been spread very far. I think I just read that Daniel is in the same boat, too. I also just want to say that the building behind you are very impressive— wowee! ~Dana 🙂
    (Dainel: I often say I have been at my school for so long that they will be carting my body out of here one day, haha! #greatmindsthinkalike)

1. Hi Dana,
      I also taught at the high school I went to in Montreal. i used to tell my students that I loved it so much I had to come back to teach. Even though I have lived in the UAE for four years, seeing the Burj Khalifa never gets old.

Great to meet you,

Haneefa

5. Hi Haneefa,
    Great to see you in another course, and both of our final courses to boot! Congratulations on almost being done. I look forward to learning with you and reading your insights as we progress through this course.
    Catherine

1. Hello Catherine,
      Nice to “see” you again! I am so excited to graduate, maybe we will even get to meet in person at the convocation ceremony.

Take Care,
      Haneefa