Hello from Saskatchewan!

Hi Everyone!  My name is Stephanie Ives.  I currently live in the very small rural town of Kyle, Saskatchewan, but my weekend and holiday time is spent in Saskatoon where my boyfriend lives. I get the best of both the rural and urban worlds. I was born and raised in Ontario, but have been in Saskatchewan since August 2012.  I teach in a K-12 school with a total of 72 students.  My current teaching load is Social Studies 6/7 and 8/9, History 10, Law 11/12, Math 10/11/12, and Art 6-10.  My university education was in history and math.

This term I am taking my fifth and sixth MET courses.  I am also currently enrolled in 510 and have previously taken 500, 511, 532,  and 512.

After teaching grade 5-8 math for four years and transitioning into senior math this year, I am hoping that this course will help me become better able to engage my senior students in meaningful and new learning experiences.  I have 5 different courses happening in one classroom with a total of 11 students, so I am always looking for new approaches and ideas to add to my repertoire.

1. A full plate indeed Stephanie! We look forward to learning about the connections you are making as the course unfolds. Welcome, Samia

2. Wow, Stephanie! That is quite the course load. I can’t imagine having that many preps to do. I have been very spoiled over the last 12 years, in that I have taught the same three classes, every year! I suppose the trade off is that is is seldom that any of my classes have less than 28 students. 28- 32 students is the norm and that equates to heaps of marking and tutoring. Good luck with the two ETEC courses, this semester! ~Dana

3. Hi Stephanie! I’m excited to have the chance to work with you in another course! As always, you sound incredibly busy. I admire your ability to teach in such a diversified classroom. As a secondary English-trained teacher, I do not have a strong background in math or science (although I have worked in learner support at a secondary level to support math/science gr. 8-10), so I am looking forward to learning from people like you who have stronger background knowledge and more experience.
    I am also in ETEC 510, so I will keep my eyes open for your name in case we are in the same section.

Take care,
    Mary

4. HI Stephanie,
    I look forward to working with you in another course. I too marvel at the course load you have and that you can manage your own learning on top of it. You must have amazing versatility skills.
    Good luck with it all,
    Catherine