Falling through the Cracks

wait for me

I chose this image because I work with students with special needs. Most often, these students are without the reading and writing tools and technologies that are necessary for them to be successful; even the assistive technologies are not readily available for these students to manage and to keep up with their peers. Certainly, this is an unfortunate and regretful reality that requires much more attention in the public school system. Overall, I will research and explore if the current reading and writing spaces make accommodations for students with special needs.

This entry was posted in Image Feed (Flickr). Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Falling through the Cracks

1. vschrader says:

Hi Barrie,

I really like this picture. It highlights not only the sentiment ELL & LST kids feel but also the sense of their marginalization by way of the shadowed person on the edge.

I look forward to working with you.
    Vicki

• Barrie Carter says:

Hello Vicki:

Yes, there is marginalization. And, I do not think that the marginalization will lessen as long as teaching practices in the classroom do not move more towards differentiated instruction, which is meant to address all students across the learning spectrum. Traditional teaching methods no longer seem to be truly effective and applicable in our ever-changing world. But, it is terribly difficult to convince teachers of this.

Thank-you for your post. πŸ™‚

Cheers,

Barrie

2. Cathy Jung says:

Hi Barrie,
    While you chose this image because you work with students with special needs, I can think of a number of my work colleagues and friends who share the sentiment of β€œwait for me”, as they find the pace of change is moving by leaps and bounds. Great image!
    Cathy

• Barrie Carter says:

Hello Cathy:

By metaphor, I wanted to capture how all students with special needs truly feel and/or think, for they know that they are atypical.

Indeed, there is a long road ahead of us in changing the way we teach students and learn from them. Most classroom teachers are unfamiliar with differentiated instructional strategies as a way of broaden their lesson and unit plans to accommodate all students across the learning spectrum.

Certainly, I am absolutely elated that the MET degree program has come into existence, for it has brought a wealth of knowledge, information, and expertise.

Thank-you for your post. πŸ™‚

Cheers,

Barrie

3. llee says:

Hello Barrie! Great image! Not only does this apply to students, but think of teachers who feel this same exact way with the ever evolving technology and students!

• Barrie Carter says:

Hello Ilee:

Yes, this image could certainly apply to teachers as well. Great insight! In truth, regarding educational technologies, for example, I had no idea how far behind I was until I began the MET degree program.

Thank-you for your post. πŸ™‚

Cheers,

Barrie

4. deedee says:

Hi Barry,
    Your image is powerful and poignant especially given your work with students who have special needs.
    Looking forward to working with you and to following your research and exploration focus.

Dee Dee

• Barrie Carter says:

Hello Dee Dee:

Yes, I wanted an image that reflects how students with special needs feel and think about themselves, which often not truly considered by some teachers and most adults.

Certainly, I look forward to this course as being an avenue to explore this within the reading and writing spaces.

Thank-you for your post. πŸ™‚

Cheers,

Barrie

5. deedee says:

Hi Barrie,
    Apologies for spelling your name with a ‘y’ on the last message.

Dee Dee

6. blamb says:

Besides the important message… I am struck by the varying textures of the image itself.

• Barrie Carter says:

Hello Brian:

Yes, the various layers are visually intriguing and compelling, for the digital aesthetics show the different shapes and their sizes.

Thank-you for your post! πŸ™‚

Barrie

7. ashleyross says:

Hi Barrie,
    I love this photo. You make some great points about special needs and the public school system.
    I am hoping to one day be one of those ‘forward-thinking and like-minded professionals’ you speak of! πŸ™‚

• Barrie Carter says:

Hello Ashley:

I think that, in many ways, we are already forward-thinking and like-minded, for we are in the MET program, which affords us an opportunity to learn, to share, and to collaborate from each other. After all, together, we bring a wealth of knowledge, experience, information, and expertise to the MET program.

Thank-you for your post. πŸ™‚

Cheers,

Barrie