TEXT as Woven Words

woven sunflower and clouds

Picture taken by Clyde Robinson.

I chose this picture for my introduction post for two reasons. First, sunflowers are my favorite flowers. Second, as a representation of the definition of text as ‘woven words’ or a ‘topographical surface, replete with undulating rhythms, sounds, and images’ (Etec 540 Course Notes, Fall 2010). I found this initial look at the meaning of text to be an eye opener as my initial thoughts on the definition of text were that text is written language. To think of text as a creation and not necessarily a creation of written words is an interesting change in mindset for me. I am now looking forward to exploring this concept more during the course duration.

This is my my seventh course in the MET program and the only course I will be taking this fall. I am a high school science teacher in Quesnel, BC with five years experience and this fall I am teaching Science 10 and Biology 12 courses. I am excited about my teaching assignment this fall because I have a classroom again with a SMART board and after pushing a cart from room to room during the previous school year I appreciate it so much more! In my free time I enjoy running, hiking, and exploring new places.

This entry was posted in Introductions, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to TEXT as Woven Words

1. Al Davidson says:

Hi Shannon,

I chose an image, for this activity, for similar concepts and perspectives. I am looking forward to collaborating and learning with you in this course. As the Vice-Principal of my school I am unfortunately the cart teacher. Still, I have tried to book myself into SMART equipped rooms as much as possible.

My sister lives in Quesnel and is a speech pathologist with the school district. Our family was out there this summer for a couple of weeks. I enjoyed my runs along the river pathways. Was not so fond of the construction between the PG and Quesnel…

Al

2. doug larsen says:

Hi Shannon,

I also live in Quesnel. I work at CNC Quesnel campus. If you’re interested, I welcome the opportunity to collaborate on 540 and/or discuss other MET courses.
    Cheers,
    Doug

3. blamb says:

Yay sunflowers!

I also look forward to seeing what comes out of an exploration of text in a wider sense…