The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

Connections & Reflections: A Visual Learning Gestalt

Hello People,
Making Connections:
Unfortunately, I have not been able to post in proper sequences this term, so please forgive the late entry here. Also am hoping the size of the visual works better, it shows up fine on the preview….am hoping it does not shrink as it did on my last post[!]

An attempt at a visual gestalt: Reflections on ETEC 540

This is my attempt at constructing a visual representation of my own personal learning trajectory through ETEC 540. I really believe that the more complex the information, the more important the visual component [as a way of communicating] becomes.

Ideas around Connections: New Knowledge
The ideas I was working with here including trying to map out how course content [the four modules] and topic areas [the remediation of writing and the legacy of orality] tracked through western cultural and political history, fused with my own prior knowledge and with the incredible resources available [including other students and online media] to create new knowledge for me.

Fusion of Content:
Content is so rich in this course [including contributions from fellow students] that all that is shown here are broad strokes and highlights of major subjects, authors and texts within ETEC 540. It is not meant as a comprehensive representation of the course, but more as a visual aid, a conceptual window into one student’s personal learning path, reflections that fused with conceptual connections, to form a kind of visual gestalt.

Thank you! to everyone for all the information shared, learned a tremendous amount from those around me in this course, as usual.
Yours,
Barb
Here is the Visual:

ETEC540ConnectionsReflections09

1 Drew Murphy { 12.02.09 at 12:29 pm }

Hi Barb: Wow, nice job. I found your graphic representation of the course to be a fulfillment of one of the course’s key concepts regarding the significance of the visual. There is something cognitively primal about seeing the course encapsulated in a visual form. My brain really likes it. Thanks for this.

2 Natalie Giesbrecht { 12.02.09 at 6:39 pm }

Hi Barb,

A concept map is a great idea – and you have done a lovely job at making it visually appealing! It is interesting what connections different people make. This course allows for plenty of personal exploration so if I was to create a map of the course I think it would look quite different – that is what is really neat – we work collaboratively but individually.

Cheers,
Natalie

3 KKerrigan { 12.03.09 at 9:36 am }

Wow Barb! Excellent visual! I think your concept map of this course is well done and comprehensive. Great work!

4 Bev { 12.07.09 at 5:00 pm }

Great visual- What did you use?
Bev