Web 0.0: Companies with Seven Customers

Hello Everyone:

After having read this article, I could not help but wonder why entrepreneurs would want to put a lot of money into Web 2.0 companies unless these entrepreneurs simply have an insatiable appetite to create a monopoly within the Web 2.0 world, thus preventing others from building web-based empires.  Perhaps it is a matter of conquering cyber space, or making a name for oneself, or steering viewers to their companies over others, or getting people hooked (so companies can charge in the [near] future).

Whatever the reason(s), it is a high stakes game, for there is little or no revenue, despite on-line ads (which I, for example, never pay attention to anyways even though they are geared towards me based on my cyber hits).

Overall, I am thankful that there are some reputable Web-based companies that require payment for their services and/or products, for I find them valuable in my teaching profession.

Cheers,

Barrie

1 jennie wong { 10.11.09 at 9:11 pm }

Here is another interesting read for those who are interested in Web 2.0. It is called Web 2.0: A Strategy Guide, Business thinking and strategies behind successful Web 2.0 implementations. (author is Amy Shuen).

2 Ian Doktor { 10.12.09 at 3:20 pm }

Thats an interesting point Barrie. I’m wondering what specific services/products you pay for. I do like the idea of reputable companies or organisations developing their tools for us to use, however I think that there are quite a few tools that have been devleped by reputable organisations that are free.

Most of the google applications for example. Almost every blog or wiki has free versions (although from an educational point of view some of the pay versions may be a better alternative). And my personal favorite are the PhET simulations created by the University of Colorado. As far as I can tell they don’t have a profit motive, although I’m sure others do. Like you, I don’t pay any attention to adds and popups on the sites I use, so I’m always curious where the revenue comes from.

3 davidp { 10.12.09 at 8:09 pm }

In the early Web 1.o days, many companies positioned themselves for a buyout by a bigger company, such as Microsoft.

I think the play today is similar. Web 2.o companies are looking to a buyout by the likes of a Google or Yahoo.

In both cases, the bigger company has a defined business proposition. For a Google or Yahoo, acquiring hot Web 2.0 “properties” moves more eyes in the direction of its advertisers and other services.