Julie’s Resource Collection

I am in my last term of the MET program so I have collected and tested a few technologies along the way. One key point that I learned from ETEC 565 was that it’s important to think about why you are using technology and to use technology to support your teaching practice rather than having technology take the lead. I found the following illustration published in the creative commons and thought that it illustrated the point very well…

Below is a list of the technology that I’ve been testing and using since starting the MET Program. I only included technologies that I’ve actually worked with and found useful for my practice.

Communicate

Phone and Video Conferencing, Chats

Blogs & E-Portfolios

• http://wordpress.org
    Very popular free blog software that can be used to develop an ePortfolio or many other types of blogs.

Multimedia Development Tools

Storytelling

• Xtranormal
    Animation software in which you enter text, select avitars, voices, and scenes and the tool works it’s magic.
  • VoiceThread
    An application that supports collaborative storytelling focussed on voices but supports the inclusion of text and image as well.

Immersive Environments

Educate

Learning Mangement Systems

Assessment Software

• Articulate Quizmaker
    software to support the development of interactive quizes that incorporate multimedia capabilities such as embedding videos, interactivity, images, and text.

Game Development

• Scratch
    Game development software to support the development of educational games.

Collaborate

• Google Docs
    Documents that support group collaboration within a single document with a side window for the team members to chat throughout the collaborative process.
  • Wiki Spaces
    Free application which support group collaboration on Wikis.

Software Training

• Lynda.com
    Video training offered through a monthly subscription format with some free components of videos. Includes training for useful applications such as Moodle, WordPress, and many paid applications useful for multimedia presentations.
This entry was posted in Rip.Mix.Feed. and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Julie’s Resource Collection