The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

CompleteFairyTalesHansChristianAnderson

Altered Tales: Fairy Tales through Oral, Literary and Cinematographic Traditions

–Wiki research Project by Caroline Faber–

Follow the link below for a brief overview of the adaptations of fairy tales over time and in the face of  technologies of orality,  print, and cinema.

http://wiki.ubc.ca/User:CarolineFaber

1 Ashley Jones { 11.11.09 at 5:30 pm }

Great Wiki Caroline. I really enoyed reading it!

2 Lindsey Martin { 11.16.09 at 12:20 pm }

What an interesting topic! The course material through fairy tales, very unique! I really enjoyed reading through your wiki. The information you provided really demonstrates the change of orality, to written word, right to digital representations. I thought you did an excellent job portraying that while at the same time providing information on fairy tales themselves. I love the history behind the fairy tale as a warning for children not to stray down the wrong path.
My favorite aspect of fairy tales, however, is the transformation or evolution of them. For example as each generation gets the tale it changes to suit the time period. Then, if Disney gets a hold of it – it changes again! The best example of course is The Little Mermaid. The orginal has her die, yet the Disney version is “happily ever after”. Interesting how our culture needs that happy ending.
Again, a great assignment!