The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

Final Project – Graphic Novels, Improving Literacy

Before I started this course, I had noticed the increased availability of graphic novels in our school library.  My teenage son is a fan, preferring Manga to the North American style comic books.  When our school recently began school-wide silent reading to promote literacy, student interest in and requests for graphic novels increased further.  There seemed a clear link between this form of literature and the need to improve  literacy rates as part of our province’s Student Success initiatives.

In the past weeks, I researched the topic of graphic novels to find the link between improved literacy and an alternate form of literature.  This website is meant to be an informative document.  My hope is to link it to the school website for parents to find documented answers to their questions about how to get reluctant readers engaged in regular reading.

A website is unlike a traditional essay in that I found it difficult to conclude the document.  You will find both internal and external links.  Typical of websites, the readers can choose the path to follow – it was never meant to be linear.  Ultimately, I hope this site encourages readers to continue their own journey in learning about graphic novels.

1 comment

1 Stuart Edgar { 11.30.09 at 3:13 pm }

Your comments on how graphic novels can improve literacy were interesting. Many of them seem to depend on the learning style of the student. I discussed the possible educational advantages of media such as graphic novels briefly in this post, although it was mainly a comparison with William Blake’s illuminated books.
https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540sept09/2009/10/28/william-blake-and-the-remediation-of-print/