Text and Technology: Mixed Messages

Street Dept Property funny sign

I selected this image as it illustrates that mixed messages can occur when the meaning of “text” changes or when new technologies are introduced. I am interested in learning more about the tradeoffs that occur when a new technology is invented and introduced. What do we gain and what do we lose or what changes as a result of the technology. I am especially concerned how computer technology is affecting the physical activity levels of people as a tradeoff for the benefits of using the technology.

I am taking my seventh MET course on my scenic route through the MET program. Scenic route as I am taking one course at a time as a reasonable balance with work and life (and trying to maintain an active lifestyle at the same time). I am a Curriculum Coordinator with the School of Business at SAIT Polytechnic in Calgary, Alberta and have just completed by fourth anniversary in this position. One of my main roles is to provide coordination, leadership and support to the development of new programs and the redevelopment of existing programs. One thing that I have learned is faculty need encouragement and support to try new things as part of the program redevelopment process, otherwise they can become set in their ways and negative towards change, including the use of technology.

This entry was posted in Introductions. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Text and Technology: Mixed Messages