Technology can’t be an alibi for bad teaching

One of my favourite quotes is Tony Bates’ statement on the relationship between technology and teaching: “Good teaching may overcome a poor choice of technology but technology will never save bad teaching.” (source: http://www.tonybates.ca/)

Bridget quoted Vincent Jansen’s definition of technology: “Technology is a tool which leverages our capacity of neuronal stimulation…“. I would say that technology can help us to enhance our abilities, but it can’t create our abilities. I think this idea is behind Bates’ quote.

Additionally, every technology has its benefits and costs as stated by O’Donnell. In other words „every technology is both a burden and a blessing; not either-or, but this-and-that“ (Postman, 1992). Every educator needs to be familiar with both benefits and costs in order to use the right technology effectively. I suppose the Bates’ quote means that informed educator can compensate costs but whatever benefits a particular technology may bring it is worthless if it is not accompanied with good teaching.

Resources
Postman, N. (1992). Technopoly: The surrender of culture to technology. New York: Vintage Books.

This entry was posted in Technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Technology can’t be an alibi for bad teaching