Michel’s Introduction

Hello everyone.  My name is Michel Lacoursiere and this is my 6th MET course.  For those interested you can visit my blog/portfolio at lacour.ca or my more info page at lacour.ca/about

I am a high school science teacher specializing in Chemistry and Biology.  Previously I was the lead Chemistry teacher at my own former high school in Peace River, Alberta.  I moved to New Westminster, BC last year with my fiancé who is pursuing orthotics and prosthetics at BCIT.

Here is a picture of us from last year’s Halloween outing, going through my pictures I thought it was fitting considering September is here and October is just around the corner.  People loved those uber-dorky costumes – maybe some ideas for others.

Halloween - 2008 Michel and Lucy

Since moving and starting my MET program I have been working as a researcher/consultant in immersive technologies and educational research.  My most important contract has me researching immersive technologies and learning environments used to train emergency personnel and firefighters.  To get me out of the house and keep sharp as an educator I also work as a teacher-on-call and work as a science facilitator and lead after-school programs at Science World.

Although I will probably return to the classroom someday I have enjoyed my experience as a consultant over the past year and would like to learn more about marketing educational technology.  I guess I could say I’ve always had ideas and skills to market but no idea how to market those skills.  I think this course will provide me with the opportunity to experience another side of education that I have always found interesting and I am sure I will pick up a lot along the way.

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to learning and working with all of you!

~Michel

1 Cari Wilson { 09.09.09 at 3:32 pm }

Hi Michel!

I love the costumes – we have to dress up for school and I’m getting tired of being the “paper bag princess”.

Cari

2 Ernest Pao { 09.09.09 at 4:10 pm }

Nice to see a familiar face in this course! Sweet outfits, man! I made a calculator costume a couple of years ago that would fit in just right with you two…=)

3 Michel Lacoursiere { 09.09.09 at 5:42 pm }

Hi Ernie,

Nice to see you too. At my last school the math teacher had an awesome Ti-83+ Silver Edition costume (nothing but the best). It was the most detailed/geeky costume ever.

But I digress.