Using the CUBE: Froguts

froguts

Froguts is an interactive simulation program offering 3D virtual dissections and biology lessons.

See the demo.

Market Focus

This program would be beneficial for middle schools, high schools and higher education. It could be used in schools, for home schooled students, or any student wanting an additional, alternative method of learning.

Types of Offerings

The main offering of this program is content. Lessons are system based and integrate anatomy, physiology and ecology through interactive simulations. The online dissections can eliminate the need for actual animal dissections.

Who is the buyer?

The buyer could include School Districts, Principals, Technology Coordinators, Curriculum Coordinators, teachers, students, and/or parents. In CUBE terms: “learning bought centrally”, “learning bought for learner”, or “learner buys personally”.

Global Markets

The software requires a computer (PC or Mac) and requires the internet for the inital activation. As far as I could see it is only offered in English so the market for this product are wired anglophone countries such as Canada, USA, Australia, UK, Ireland, and NZ.

Devlopment of the Market

The market imports content and infrastructure and supports export oriented learning technologies and substitution of imports.

Learning Technology Competing with Other Forms of Learning

This program works with a well-developed learning system but also can be viewed as a substitute to dissections for reasons of costs, animal rights, and the environment.

1 Sharon Hann { 09.22.09 at 7:43 pm }

This is a very cool program. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. It’s price is quite reasonable I think. Sharon

2 Ashley Jones { 09.22.09 at 7:51 pm }

Thanks Sharon. I agree that the cost is very reasonable, one of the reasons I could convince my school to renew the licence! I’ve been using it for Biology 11 and 12 dissection labs and my students LOVE it. I’ve even had a few students attending other secondary schools complete a lab with me using this program for various personal reasons.

3 davidp { 09.22.09 at 8:24 pm }

This is an excellent price point for such a good resource.

You can see that the developer understands schools from a business perspective, pricing the resource at a level that can make a local purchase happen at an individual school or department level, without much wringing of hands or budgets.

The province-wide license in Ontario in another vehicle for broad-based systemic marketing using a variant on a micro-commerce approach – sell lots at a low price point.

Good one!

d.