Elluminate Cubed

Here is my attempt at “Elluminate Cubed”. I have used Elluminate many times over the past couple of years and it grows on me each time I use it.

http://www.elluminate.com/

FACE 1: MARKET FOCUS

Elluminate provides web, video, and audio solutions for online learning and according to Elluminate.com they serve “more than 600 million annual web-collaboration minutes to over 7 million teachers and students located in 170 different countries”.

FACE 2: TYPES OF OFFERINGS

Elluminate has several offerings that are explained in detail through the links below including:

Elluminate Learning Suite™. – a full package of products

Elluminate Live!® features voice over the Internet, interactive functionality, upports multiple platforms and low-bandwidth connectivity.

Elluminate Next>™ bundle combines Elluminate Plan! and Elluminate Publish!

Elluminate vSpaces™ single-room configurations of Elluminate Live!

Elluminate Bridges a tool that provides integration with learning and content management systems.

Elluminate VCS™ is an affordable  multipoint video collaboration product for desktop users.

LearnCentral™ is a social learning network for education, sponsored by Elluminate.

FACE 3: THE BUYER

School Districts or governing educational groups, individual educators and business.

If you are a BC educator you can have free access provided by Learnnowbc. A single meeting can be booked  or you can reserve a long-term meeting room for up to one year. Click here for more information: http://www.learnnowbc.ca/lnbcresources/elluminate/

FACE 4: GLOBAL MARKETS

As the internet expands and computer access improved within education there is potential for classrooms to meet and connect globally. This meeting platform allows for easy interactivity that incorporates, audio, video, text and more.

FACE 5: DEVELOPMENT OF THE MARKET

There are several reviews and articles about Elluminate:

http://www.elluminate.com/press/articles.jsp

The company is located in Calgary, Alberta and Pleasanton, California and claims to Ellumiate claims, to be the choice of “ Apple Computer, California State University, Florida Virtual School, Georgetown University, K12 Inc., London Knowledge Lab, Los Angeles Unified School District, Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Novell, Queen’s University, Royal Veterinary College, Red Hat, Sun Microsystems, and many more.”

According to their website they are the one of “Deloitte’s 50 Fastest Growing Technology Companies and is positioned in the Visionaries Quadrant of the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Web Conferencing, 2009”.

FACE 6: LEARNING TECHNOLOGY COMPETITION WITH OTHER FORMS OF LEARNING

The Elluminate services are very useful and have great potential in the market. A set back (or competition) is the every growing development of free Web 2.0, & 3.0 tools. Many of these tools provide similar functions including online chat, whiteboard, and texting capabilities. As second struggle that the company will encounter is convincing educators to change their practice to incorporate virtual meeting spaces over face to face. Ellumiate has many market challenges and must keep current with the many emerging new technologies in order to survive.

Here is a short video found on Youtube introducing Elluminate:

YouTube Preview Image

1 Amy Frank { 09.26.09 at 10:29 am }

Hi Jay,

Have you used Elluminate with other countries? I am just wondering about how sophisticated it has become. I haven’t used it for years, when I did, it was very basic and rooted in its Western roots. Have they adapted the platform for easy use in countries where English isn’t used?

Also, have you used Web Ex? I used to use that at my old job and it was a similar idea. We would be able to present information to clients through the application.

I have attended speaker sessions using Elluminate and it was ver easy to use. However, there are so many options (free ones especially) for chat, VoIP. and file sharing, I believe that this is a tough market to be in.

Thanks for the post.

Amy

2 Cari Wilson { 09.27.09 at 10:35 am }

I recently used Elluminate for the first time when I hosted a seminar on wikispaces.com. I liked using it but I think your comment on the availability of free alternatives is bang on. It would be a tough market to make money in, as there are so many free alternatives and a number of paid ones, too.

3 Erik Van Dusen { 09.27.09 at 1:15 pm }

Hi Jay,

Thanks for ‘cubing’ Elluminate; great job. There has been some mention that Elluminate faces some competition from similar, yet free, applications. I was wondering is anyone could direct me to some of these free service. Also, I remember someone telling me that BC teachers have free access to Elluminate. Could anybody confirm?

4 Jay Dixon { 09.27.09 at 2:32 pm }

Erik,
You can obtain free access through http://www.learnnowbc.ca/lnbcresources/elluminate/. You may need to email them directly to establish an account.
~Jay

5 davidp { 09.27.09 at 7:17 pm }

I’ve used some of the free services, and my experience has been that they have not been as robust as this one.

However, when faced with “free” services such as Dim Dim, you have to wonder whether Elluminate is planning to make its money now. It is certainly popular in British Columbia’s K-12 and higher education sectors.

d.