University of the People (UoPeople)

University of the People (UoPeople): http://www.uopeople.org/

The United Nations has launched the world’s first tuition-free, non-profit, global online University.

Market Focus:

Higher education courses in information and communications technology that are accessible to everyone around the world. Primarily targeting those who cannot afford the tuition fees from other institutes, or who don’t have access to higher education from where they live.

Types of Offerings:

Content and infrastructure for courses in two academic fields: Business Administration and Computer Science. Both offer 2-year and 4-year programs that are the recommended sequence to follow, but students may also chose to take individual courses from either of these programs as well as from a list of General Studies courses.

The University is not yet accredited and cannot confer any degrees.

Who is the buyer?:

Tuition is free, but the learner personally pays any fees. There is a “sliding scale” of fees for admissions ($15-50) and exams ($10-100), depending on the home country of each student. The University is sponsored by financial donations and volunteer time.

Global Markets:

The courses are offered globally, however an Internet connection is necessary. All materials are online texts, with no videos or content requiring broadband so slow Internet connections will work. All courses and texts are in English, so students must have the required level of English (must be able to complete a series of mandatory orientation courses).

Development of the Market:

There is huge potential for the development and growth of this University. The UoPeople plan to apply for accreditation which will open the doors to more opportunities for the students, as well as higher enrollment. Many more courses and programs can be developed and offered (I personally would like to to some on Environmental Sustainability) and courses in other languages could be offered.

Learning Technology Competing with Other Forms of Learning:

I believe that the UoPeople is not necessarily displacing other forms of learning, but offering a much needed alternative to ensure that everyone has equal opportunities for higher education.

1 Tony D { 09.30.09 at 7:03 pm }

WOW! This is a modern idea! I suppose it was a matter of time before something like this became available! However it is obviously in the early stages of development. Apparently the university doesn’t offer degrees bcause it has not been properly accredited by who ever the governing body is of international universities? Who would that be? Also do you think this university will stay tuition free forever? Also they mention their courses may be eligible for tranfer credit at other academic institutions? Does UBC accept any? Maybe I could save some tuition and transfer a UoPeople computer science credit to this program!! The idea sounds very altruistic and may be a great way to increase educational awareness in developing countries.
Thanks for the intereting post Ashley!

2 Sharon Hann { 09.30.09 at 7:43 pm }

Wow, indeed. This is an impressive concept. I hope they offer other languages soon. Sharon

3 Ashley Jones { 09.30.09 at 8:00 pm }

Thanks for the comments Tony and Sharon! It looks like the University opened in May, although I hadn’t heard about this until I stumbled upon it just yesterday! I think they need a lot more academic volunteers to develop more courses and to be present in the forums to help students with quesitons that arise.

This is what they currently have to say under ACCREDITATION:

At present, UoPeople is not an accredited institution. University of the People plans to apply for accreditation and for authorization from recognized agencies and authorities in accordance with the rules, regulations and relevant timelines of those agencies and authorities.

Therefore, UoPeople does not presently confer degrees. At present, our programs offer a new learning experience similar in their scope to academic studies towards four degrees: An Associate and B.Sc. in Computer Science and an Associate and B.A. in Business Administration. These programs may in the future lead towards undergraduate degrees. However, no degrees will be granted until the university obtains proper authorization from relevant authorities.

Please note: The acceptance for transfer of University of the People academic credits is determined by the receiving institutions. Whether or not credits transfer is solely up to the discretion of the receiving institution.

4 davidp { 09.30.09 at 9:55 pm }

Peer2PeerU is a somewhat similar concept.

http://p2pu.pbworks.com/

Take a look at the advisory group…

http://p2pu.pbworks.com/Advisory-Group

We’ll see more of this in Mods 10 and 11.

d.

5 Ashley Jones { 10.01.09 at 12:46 am }

Wow P2PU offers some really different courses! Such as “Poker and strategic thinking”. I love it!

6 Byron Kask { 10.01.09 at 8:04 am }

The poker class does have a catchy title, but it would be interesting to see how much of a hook that is. I’d be more interested in the “strategic thinking” component for sure, and since I’m not interested in poker, it would be a shame if that was the sole focus.

7 Ashley Jones { 10.01.09 at 4:35 pm }

I agree Byron!

8 Omar Ramroop { 10.01.09 at 4:49 pm }

Hi Ashley,

Nice selection for analysis. After looking at P2P University and now your analysis, the similarities are astounding and the goals of each of these identities are admirable. I think anytime we have the opportunity for the expansion of education to a broader audience, especially those that are unable to access more traditional means, it should be supported for its intentions.

I am glad to see such alternatives available in the marketplace. I especially enjoy when the primary goal is for learning and not for profit.

Thanks again for the information.

– Omar

9 Barrie Carter { 10.04.09 at 1:14 pm }

Hello Ashley:

As others have mentioned, UoP is altruistic.

Now, the the only thing preventing many people who would benefit most is Internet connectivity. After all, far too many people worldwide are living in areas where Internet connectivity infrastructure is poor or does not yet exist.

As well, I suspect that UoP is an English-based institution for now, which leaves room for tremendous growth and opportunity.

Indeed, UoP is an admirable undertaking.

Cheers,

Barrie
Cheers,

Barrie

10 Barrie Carter { 10.04.09 at 1:15 pm }

Hello Ashley:

Cheers,

Barrie

11 Barrie Carter { 10.04.09 at 1:34 pm }

Hello Ashley:

Here is a TED.com link to a talk on a free digital library. Perhaps this technology venture complements the UoP venture:

http://www.ted.com/talks/brewster_kahle_builds_a_free_digital_library.html

Cheers,

Barrie