Defining Technology

Technology is a difficult concept to describe because it belongs to so many realms. As I see it, technology is analogous to “system”. It supports culture by making a task deemed important by a culture easier. I have included a picture of an old typewriter keyboard. It is the keyboard that I learned to type on. (It was an antique even then!) Certainly the typewriter made writing easier, making letters in a standard way so that the skill of the writer as a printer became less important. It also allowed for an increase in speed. When you think of chiseling out a message on a clay tablet or stone, to writing on papyrus with ink, to the typewriter and now to sleek computer keyboards, it is possible to see how technology made advancements to make the process of writing easier for people. Furthermore, it evolved because communication was deemed important by society throughout history.

This entry was posted in Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Defining Technology

1. Things have really come a long way and based on projection, there is still a far way to go. Sometimes I wonder if the keyboard will soon be a thing of the past. It is just mind-boggling when one looks at where we are now and the short period of time we took to be here. I think technology will continue to experience changes as it relates to its definition with the scope it covers and the rate at which it is advancing.

Everton