This week, I finished the second portion of my 8 month co-op term with UBC Athletics and Recreation. It’s been an incredible journey in terms of professional and personal growth, and to be honest I’m a bit sorry I haven’t documented every step of the way.
(First year!Courtney thought that Third year!Courtney would still be pushing out blog posts every other day. Silly girl, that one.)
So to recap the last 7 months of my life, I’ll make a list of highlights:
- May 12th: my first few hours of work. I was introduced to the building and a lot of people, so the thing that went through my head the most during those few hours was probably “wait, what“
- Event month: FIVB Volleyball, a huuuuge private banquet, Yonex Badminton Open, the Vancouver Special Olympics.
- Hiring: my supervisor knew that my least favourite thing was talking on the phone… so of course, I spent a day and a half conducting screening interviews over the phone. Needless to say, I’ve gotten good at saying “Hi, how are you?”
- I developed a Diversity Training module and I’m actually super proud of it. A lot of the issues discussed in it are important to me, and I’m glad that I got to work on that project.
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama: I STOOD >100m AWAY AND BREATHED THE SAME AIR AS THE DALAI LAMA WHAT. But seriously, it was simultaneously the most stressful and rewarding event ever.
- Also I talked to Zachary Gray of the Zolas in a two-second conversation where he said “Do you know where so-and-so is” and I was like “uh I don’t know who that is” and he was like “ah ok bye”.
And that’s why I will never go to a meet-and-greet because what do you say?!?!?!
- More events: Googoosh & Ebi, the Yeah Show, Lace Up for Kids, the Davis Cup press conference, Sesame Street Live.
- An awkward holiday staff party where there was too much food and no one showed up. For party favours, each person received an entire box of pizza.
That list probably didn’t make sense but basically, I had a good time. Shoutout to my manager for being cool and taking extra time to offer support and feedback throughout the term 😀
Anyways, it’s vacation time! Happy holidays everyone—see y’all back in class!