Getting back into “School Mode”

5 nights until Imagine Day!

Every year, we make the transition from free-for-all summer schedules to rigid school-time routines. There’s a lot of cleaning, re-organizing, and mindset-changing that has to be done in the week before school starts!  Here’s a list of some things that I’m doing to get ready for UBC:

• Sleeping earlier. This also means I’m forcing myself to wake up earlier, too.  Having become used to staying up way past midnight, I’m finding this really tough.  But I have to prepare myself for those morning classes! My goal every night is to get into bed before midnight (that’s reasonable, right?) and get out of bed before 9:30 the next morning. It’s… sort of happening.
  • Sorting pens.   Isn’t it annoying when you try to quickly scribble down a note, only to find it’s run out of ink?  I’m going through all my writing and art utensils (pens, pencils, Sharpies, markers, crayons, pastels, you name it), testing them, and tossing the ones that don’t work into the trash.  The rest get sorted into different pencil cases, depending on their type and usefulness.
  • Drinking tea. Earl Grey with cream and sugar in the morning, and decaf herbal tea at night!  I’m determined to not get addicted to coffee.
  • Labelling everything. I admit that I like having my name on all my stuff.  It was especially important back in high school, because I always seemed to lose either my favourite pencil or eraser.  Now, I have a surplus of stickers that say “Courtney” on them, so I’m trying to use them all up.  Labelled items include my (new!) textbooks and workbooks.
  • Reading and drawing and listening to music.  Right now, I’m doing all the lazy-day-at-home things I can, because I’m not so sure there will be time for them later.  Among the things I’ve been reading is this, a wonderful pre-UBC guide by a fellow blogsquad member.

Now I’m even more eager to get started at UBC.  September 4th, hurry up!