Group 8’s Wiki Activity

Hi Everyone,

It looks like our pool of collaboration technology resources is starting to take form. Thanks!

What’s been interesting is watching how it has been taking form. Some of you are showing your MediaWiki experience, while others are learning on the go.  Some of you are creating new pages for your reviews, while others are writing a review on the main page for collaborative technologies and linking directly to the tool’s web page. As a group we are creating something new (and hopefully useful) publicly. And as a group, I wonder, can we form a resource that is coherent , concise, and consistent both in content and format. Does this technology (and the time and energy that we have) allow for this? We’re about halfway through this module, and it’ll be interesting to see how this new resource will look like at the end.

1 Byron Kask { 11.04.09 at 8:46 pm }

Sean,

I’ve enjoyed the wiki part of the presentation, and it really wouldn’t take a lot to give a consistent look and feel. I think the question is one of formatting and linking. Do we want to try to create our own content for each of the topics, link to an existing resource, or both by creating small pages that provide an overview of the technology, but then give additional resources? Or something completely different?

We have already adopted a pattern for adding techs, but if we decide on how we want the layout, then any new entries will follow the new direction and old entires can be cleaned up.

Thoughts?

2 Erica T { 11.05.09 at 9:23 am }

I like that all the links and summaries of these collaboration tools are found in one place. What an invaluable resource. Just starting out in MET, I have been trying to compile my own list which is growing rapidly as I go along. It is amazing to see the WIKI page and realize that I have barely chipped the surface. Proof that collaboration is essential.

3 Jay Dixon { 11.05.09 at 6:47 pm }

The Mediawiki experience is great. It reminds me of ETEC 510 which was a good collaborative assignment, The use of Moodle to organize the forums is clever too. Well done. Moodle can be a valuable tool when you have a group like us who are keen and into things. I wish I could get my high school students posting this much 🙂 Collaboration brings involvement and overall learning to another level.

4 Marjorie del Mundo { 11.05.09 at 10:17 pm }

I also think the Mediawiki is great and allows everyone to be updated on familiar, unfamiliar and emerging collaboration technologies. Last week, I attended the E-Learn conference and this discussion makes me think of one of the questions that kept arising: are there existing technologies out there that can be considered collaboration technologies that are not being widely used in the context of education?

5 Omar Ramroop { 11.06.09 at 10:15 am }

Similarly to Erica, the MET program has provided an enormous amount of useful and practical information and resources, most notably websites that host a variety of applications. It seems like every new presentation or module, I am adding 2-4 new resources to an ever-growing compilation.

I think the Wiki idea was a great one for your module. It is nice to see a collaborative effort in order to achieve a common goal. Reviewing the Wiki thus far, it looks like we are well on our way. 😉

– Omar

6 James Richardson { 11.06.09 at 12:55 pm }

It has been I while since I have had to use any wiki markup as I typically use the WYSWYG pbworks platform. There is already an excellent compendium of resources developed by users. I quite like the features of Diigo and I plan on using it instead of delicious.

7 Iris Chan { 11.06.09 at 2:18 pm }

The wiki is turning out to be a very valuable resources. It is like one quick stop for collaborative technologies.

I think the UBC wiki space is a good way to bring all of our thoughts together both visually and physically. Since our discussions are spread out among the different forums, this is a great place to just gather it all together. Great idea!

8 Sean McMinn { 11.06.09 at 5:15 pm }

Glad to see this is working for all of you. I’m seeing some applications that I haven’t seen before, which is nice.

Byron: I like the idea of us creating our own little page with content (a new page for each application) and a link, but that may be too much work for those just getting used to the coding . Perhaps, even categorizing each type of collaboration technology.

Sean

9 Barrie Carter { 11.08.09 at 2:24 pm }

Hello Group 8 and Collaborators:

I explored the collaborative wiki with great interest and appreciation, for there are many collaboration spaces from which to choose.

Indeed, many of these spaces are valuable for classroom use in that students can begin to experience on-line collaboration, building and sharing knowledge.

Cheers,

10 Sharon Hann { 11.08.09 at 3:56 pm }

I have added this wiki to my bookmarks – lots of great info! Good idea Group 8!

11 Annette Smith { 11.09.09 at 8:14 am }

As an activity the wiki seems to have been a resounding success. I found many new resources which I will be using in the future. Fantastic job Group 8!