Elevator Pitch – Iris

Convenience, Affordable, Permance, while enhancing employee productivity and the school’s reputation with one single investment in your campus tours!

Bluetooth Talking-Points Campus Tours would be automated guided tours for prospective students and families. The tours would be available in a variety of languages and can be simply activated by using a mobile phone, bluetooth headset and the embedded Talking-Points on site. For more information, check out my full venture!

Thanks Ernie and Barrie! I think I fixed it now. You can now watch the video. I changed the settings on my Youtube video.

FOR THE FULL VENTURE…. EMAIL me :   msirischanatgmaildotcom   or you can take a look at the Media Gallery as well on our blog. I uploaded the presentation there.

1 Barrie Carter { 11.28.09 at 4:53 pm }

Hello Iris:

For some reason, I am unable to view your video.

Cheers,

Barrie

2 Ernest Pao { 11.28.09 at 5:12 pm }

Hi Iris,

I think it has to do with the settings you have on your YouTube account. You have to allow the video to be “shared with the world” or it won’t work.

Cheers!

Ernie

3 Ed Stuerle { 11.30.09 at 12:59 pm }

I think that you have a good idea. I think I get it but I personally need a few more details in the pitch to spell it out in more detail for me. For example why is this service needed.

4 Cari Wilson { 11.30.09 at 6:36 pm }

Iris,

It sounds interesting. I’m not sure I really understand how this would benefit employee productivity? Also, you talk about recruiting offshore students – would the tour be available in various languages?

Would the service be free? If not, how would people be charged for the service? I looked for more information but couldn’t find it- maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

Cari

5 Lorne Upton { 11.30.09 at 8:05 pm }

Hello Iris,

I am looking for the complete presentation. I will contact David, if I don’t hear back.

Thanks
Lorne

6 Noah Burdett { 11.30.09 at 8:58 pm }

Iris,

I think you are on to something. I could see this technology going a lot further as one could also create a similar concept for guided tours at any of the points of interest around the world.

As for employee productivity, would it increase because less people would be asking for directions? That seems to make sense for me.

Look forward to finding out more.

Noah

7 Mark Reed { 12.01.09 at 8:28 pm }

Hi Iris
I like your idea and the flow char diagram makes the elevator pitch look very credible and professional.

8 James Richardson { 12.01.09 at 9:04 pm }

The style and format of the elevator pitch is very professional. You capitalize on the large market and target the parents who are funding the education. Hook them and you have your students. Nice approach.

9 Erica T { 12.01.09 at 10:06 pm }

Looking forward to the link to your full venture pitch to find out more about the applications of the bluetooth Campus Tours.

10 Iris Chan { 12.01.09 at 11:59 pm }

The employee productivity benefit is further explored in my full venture. Basically it works like this. When you have an automated tour, you no longer need the employee to take the parents physically. The now “freed” employee can work on Phase 1 and 3 of the recruitment process.

11 Lorne Upton { 12.02.09 at 12:29 pm }

Hello Iris,

Please send an invitation to lorneupton@hotmail.com

Thanks

12 Adam Rattray { 12.02.09 at 1:47 pm }

Hi Iris,
Definitely a great idea. I had trouble reading the print on the screen as was a little small and blurred. Other than that it was fine. Good job!

13 Erik Van Dusen { 12.02.09 at 3:51 pm }

Hi Iris,

Great idea! I am also imagining how this type of guided tour could be used in other settings, like museums, historic sites and art galleries. Lots of potential here.

One possible challenge to the idea, however, is that the guided tours are receptive and don’t allow for interaction and dialogue if guests have questions.

Again, awesome job and great idea.

Erik

14 Ashley Jones { 12.02.09 at 4:51 pm }

Great idea Iris!! Like Erik said, this could also be used in other settings. Im sure many universities would be interested. Again, like Erik mentioned, if the students or their parents have questions where could these be addressed? Perhaps the tour ends at the office for final questions? Or they are given a brochure with answers to the most typical questions asked? I am hooked and look forward to viewing the full pitch!

15 Erica T { 12.02.09 at 9:43 pm }

This is my formal review of your pitch presentation.

I appreciate the 40 s elevator pitch (you tube video) that you posted. It seems like a viable idea and I think would attract investors.

In your PowerPoint presentation the additional information provided clearly identifies the convenience of what you are offering. I appreciate that you pointed out that the most expensive part is brought by the user themselves (the mobile device)
You also mention that it is affordable.

The one thing I wasn’t clear on is if you intend to hand out the blue tooth devices or if you expect the user to have their own. Will the user pay to “borrow” the blue tooth device for their tour? If you intend for each user to provide their own Bluetooth device, then my question becomes: where exactly will you collect revenue for this venture?

I am not sure that I totally agree with the “Permanence”. If this is a user pay offering, then I think the customer (students and their parents) would hope that the guided tours are always completely up to date (example “At this time you can not access the Main Mall due to excavation and construction. It will be reopened in 7 months.”)

I think the University of Michigan URL, which I went to, really helped to visualize how the device will be used effectively. This helps to sell the investor on the viability of the product. I really liked the notion of the student walking into the gym and accessing the gym schedule or the computer lab, or the many applications for blind students. What a great idea!

As you concluded, I was still wondering about the costs to investors and users. As an EVA, I would need to see a financial plan showing me expected profits. If the financial information was clarified, I think this is an excellent product with ensured success in many applications, and then I absolutely would consider putting this in my top 3 list of investments.

16 Ana Cecilia Tagliapietra { 12.04.09 at 5:38 pm }

Iris,
Your elevator pitch caight my attention. I find your venture similar to those used in some US museums where the article presented has a “tag” or number that you dial in a special artifact to get the information- guides are no longer required.
On a “traditional” point of view- a personal guide can answer visitor’s questions right there-on site. What would your approach to these needs be?
Great job! Very interesting pitch!

17 Barrie Carter { 12.04.09 at 6:59 pm }

Hello Iris:

Great pitch! Great product! I am intrigued by the technology, for I am a mobile techno-zealot.

I would consider investing after I see how quickly such a venture takes off at a few post-secondary institutions.

In the mean time, however, I will keep a close eye on this venture from the side lines, for I am concerned about the bureaucracy, which inherently exists in all universities.

I will be watching this venture closely.

Cheers,

Barrie

18 dockat { 12.04.09 at 9:10 pm }

Hi Iris, a neat concept, especially as a template for guiding the blind as was mentioned. This could be a trigger point for useful nav information for those who are new to an environment…very neat concept!
I think that Google goggles is now poised to do this for the wide world but using search engines. On CNBC last night, the featured mobile phone access tool revolves around taking pictures of the immediate environment then google goes into the database and generates info about history, relevance, culture, etc….wow so this could be embedded within a google goggles appliance and tool too. I have not done an EVA for the concept because I think goggles will probably move into tour business quickly, but the concept you pitch might tie in very well.
I liked your venture concept, best wishes

19 Annette Smith { 12.05.09 at 2:42 pm }

This idea could be expanded to include information about almost anything. Advertisers could use it to add audio to their billboards, museums and art gallleries could offer it for tours, and tourists could use it to guide them around a city. I can even imagine a scenario where a hospital had a talking point at its entrance to guide patients to the right area, or have a menu of languages to explain what documents are needed.

I think you could eventually expand your venture to include many more markets.

Your pitch was clear, and the elevator pitch made me want to know more.

Cheers,
Annette

20 Ammar Al-Attiyat { 12.06.09 at 1:37 pm }

Hi Iris,

Great idea !!
I like the fact that you utilized your past experience you had with Assignment 2 (Mobile Learning Technologies – Blue Tooth Technology) , this will add more credibility I think to your venture as you’re on top of industry know how.

I like also what you mentioned in slide 14 (school reputation), as a parent who is now relocating from one country to another and looking for new school for my kids, I’m picking prospect schools based on how good is their web site, so I have a top 3 list that I will definitely choose one after I take a campus tour. I imagine if one school would give me your Talking Points idea, I will sure go for it.

Good luck with your venture.