Intro: The Value of Literacy

great stamp USA 1c (The Ability To Write - A Root of Democracy) postzegel postes timbre US postage 1c cent Stamp USA United States of America timbre États-Unis u.s. postage selo Estados Unidos sello USA francobolli Stati Uniti d'America почтовая маркa 1c

My name is Jaclyn Silver and this is my fifth MET course. I teach senior science and math at a rural high school in northern B.C. We actually got our first skiff of snow Sunday night…yuck.

My image is of a stamp that was issued in 1977 as part of the Americana series that celebrated America’s history and values. The “Roots to Democracy” block consisted of four different stamps, each with its own message: the ability to write; a public that reads; the freedom to speak out; and to cast a free ballot.

I live in tiny but culturally diverse community in B.C. where low literacy and high poverty rates are a significant concern. The community recognizes that literacy skills are fundamental to self-empowerment, informed decision-making, and greater participation in local and global issues. Literacy programs, in both English and Carrier, are being developed with aims of promoting equity, inclusion, cultural identity, and active democracy. I hope to use the knowledge and skills I develop in this course to better support this cause. I see that the second module is entitled “Orality and Literacy”. I think that there is great value in exploring how the language of the Carrier people has evolved from oral traditions to pictography to text. I am also interested in further investigating how modern communication technologies can be used to improve literacy and increase civic participation.

Cheers

1 Response to Intro: The Value of Literacy

1. justine says:

Hey Jaclyn,
    Wo, I can’t believe you have some snow already. I am still feeling very summer here in NVan. You are coming from an interesting perspective in your community. I bet the oral tradition of the Carrier will give you a lot of insight into the history of literacy, especially now we have a new kind of literacy emerging.
    Hope to talk again,
    Justine