Took a while ’til my penny dropped: political vanity phone numbers

When I looked at the MPP campaign poster and their “voters, phone us with your concerns” hotline earlier today, I noticed that the phone number was 1921 harking back to the revolution as a nice touch.

DP Campaign Donation Poster
Not to be outdone in that regard, guess what the DP hotline’s number is? 1206. Ah yes, never a good Mongolian public appeal without some reference to Chinggis Khan hidden somewhere in the rhetoric.

Both big parties are thus clearly harking back to glorious times in the nation’s imagined history and doing so by using a vanity phone number. Oddly, especially the level of Twitter activity among Mongolian politicians, very few of the campaign ads mention URLs, FB or twitter accounts.

About Julian Dierkes

Julian Dierkes is a sociologist by training (PhD Princeton Univ) and a Mongolist by choice and passion since around 2005. He teaches in the Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. He toots @jdierkes@sciences.social and tweets @jdierkes
This entry was posted in Democratic Party, Elections, Ikh Khural 2012, Mongolian People's Party, Party Politics, Politics and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.