Introduction: Claude D’Souza

4 Pics 1 Word

4 Pics, 1 Word: I coincidentally happened to download this game application on my smartphone this week in my search for good educational games that could be shared with EFL students. The purpose of the game is to identify the common word that connects the 4 images on the screen. In addition to the visual clues, the gamer also has 12 scrambled letters below which contain the letters used to form the mystery word. I was glad to hear that many of my students had already downloaded this application and enjoy using it. I think it connects nicely to the Module 1 material because it highlights an interactive way for an English language learner to build literacy through the use of text and technology. Furthermore, I believe that applications such as this one exemplify the present day multi-sequential, image-based educational environments that are only accessible to those who embrace new technology, such as smartphones.

This is my second year and 5th course in the MET program at UBC. I previously attained my B.A. and B.Ed degrees from UBC, and went on to teach a few years of upper elementary (Grades 4-7) in my hometown of Delta, BC. Currently, I am teaching EFL conversation and writing to Korean high school students in Seoul. I enjoy playing sports, hiking, and experiencing diverse cultures through my travels. I recently returned from a one-month trip in Europe which included stops in the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, and Portugal! In addition to taking this course in order to attain my Master’s degree, I chose it because I am interested in learning more about how current forms of communication have been influenced by the historical development of technology. The affordances of various types of technology on education, particularly in the area of foreign language learning, also appeals to me.

I look forward to engaging in discussions and working with you over the course of the term. Ciao!

This entry was posted in Introductions. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Introduction: Claude D’Souza

1. lindsayn says:

Hi Claude,
    It is nice to see that we are in a class together again. The application you mentioned sounds like a useful education tool. I think it is pertinent to media literacy and how a sequence of images can produce a particular meaning.

I look forward to working with you throughout the course,
    Lindsay

2. msheidi says:

Hi Claude,

I have friends who play this game application. I had never thought to use it in the classroom, but can imagine that the students would find it fun. Nice connection between the game and building literacy through the technology of the smartphone/iPad.

Fun to be sharing a course with someone who is not only in the same time zone, but also the same city. This could be advantageous when it comes to the projects assigned within this course.

Looking forward to learning alongside of you,

Heidi

3. Colleen Ruddy says:

Hey Claude,
    Nice to “see” you again. Hope all is well in Korea and Happy Chusok! Eat lots of Dok for me, preferably the honey filled ones 😉

On an unrelated note, would you mind emailing me the links to this weeks readings and what we are supposed to do. Connect keeps crashing on me before I can get anywhere useful on the site. I still haven’t posted a response to last week’s reading as a result. They are supposed to be doing a system reboot tomorrow; fingers crossed that it works. Email: colleenruddy@yahoo.com or shsruddy@gmail.com
    Thanks!
    Colleen

• Jeff Miller says:

Hi Colleen,

The main reading this week is from Ong, pages 31-77. Please make sure that you send in a trouble ticket to the CTLT helpdesk, as it is important to make sure that there are not any other issues affecting your access to Connect. Jeff