Introduction: Dan Tinaburri

THINK before you

“…if only writing would be used for the production of certain kinds of texts and not others…” (Postman, 1992, p. 6)

When I discovered the image above, I was reminded of Neil Postman’s comment that Thamus was not concerned with what people will write, but that they will write (Postman, 1992, p. 6). Freedom of speech, digital citizenship, privacy, and copyright never crossed Thamus’ mind. Yet, these are important concepts that have been changed and are still changing in light of new technologies. Pandora’s box has been opened. While I believe that some limits need to be placed, perhaps as they have done in Nova Scotia, there are other instances where it is foolish to try to impose limits, as when the Argyll and Bute Council tried to ban 9-year-old Martha Payne’s blog about school lunches. As a teacher, I am thrust to the forefront of these issues and, on behalf of my students, must become a skilled navigator of the ever-changing landscape in the ways technology is changing communication.

My name is Dan Tinaburri and I currently teach grade 5 in Calgary. I am passionate about writing and reading and the impact that current technologies are having on them. I am excited to be a part of ETEC 540. This is my fourth MET course.

Postman, N. (1992). Technopoly: The surrender of culture to technology. New York, NY: Knopf.

This entry was posted in Introductions. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Introduction: Dan Tinaburri

1. steve1 says:

Hi Dan,

Really like the picture you posted. These are all things we need to consider when writing and interacting online . . . . . unfortunately most people to not consider this before they write online.

Best
    Steve