Mariana Reinoso

[ D ] Albrecht Dürer - Saint Jerome in his Study (1514)

This is Saint Jerome in His Study (1514), an engraving by Albrecht Dürer. Jerome was born in Dalmatia in the 4th century and is best known as the translator of the Bible from Hebrew into Latin. I chose this picture because Jerome is the Patron Saint of translators (and I am a translator myself.) The process of translating words or text from one language into another is very complex, and has changed over time because of the different emerging technologies. I’m glad we don’t have to use quill and ink, pen and paper, or even typewriters anymore. I’m also glad that computers and different technologies (like translation memories and term bases) have made the translation process a lot easier, especially when working on big projects. What makes me really happy is that machine translation (like Google Translate) is still not good enough to replace human translators.

My name is Mariana Reinoso and this is my 4th MET course. Originally from Chile, now I call Vancouver home. I am a professional translator involved in education these days, working on professional development courses (online) for mining professionals. I coordinate translations of the courses into Spanish, proofread the materials, standardize terminology, maintain translation memories, etc. I’m excited to be part of this course and look forward to working with you.

This entry was posted in Introductions and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Mariana Reinoso