Introduction: Jamie Out

THINK before you

The reason I chose this image was because I am reminded of the vital education needed in order to create respectful and peaceable digital citizens in our rapidly changing online world. Our words can impact others greatly. They can educate, inspire, challenge, offend, or wound and, just as we must educate and reinforce right from wrong in face to face conversations, the same is true of online interactions. As anonymity is welcomed as a new norm online, it becomes necessary to educate new digital citizens of the impact that their actions and words can have. This “THINK” acronym has crossed my screen a few times this past week as I plan my new year of teaching and feel that it works as a springboard for teaching about the use of text and technology in our everyday lives.

A little more about me. I have just returned from a year of teaching abroad in China and am looking forward to teaching in a new setting back in the Richmond school district (whenever that may start). This is currently my 3rd MET course and when I planned to take this course I was intrigued by the history aspect of things as that was my undergrad major. I see a few familiar faces (Hi Rhena), and am excited to work with new people and gain new ideas and insights from everyone. Good luck all.

Jamie

This entry was posted in Introductions. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Introduction: Jamie Out

1. Rhena Bowie says:

Hi Jamie,
    Nice to see you again. Thinking about technology and digital citizenship is definitely changing the way communication works. I have the THINK poster up in my classroom, it’s a good reminder of the power our words have. Rhena

2. mrelova says:

Hi Jamie!
    It is very nice to “meet” you. I am curious to know where in China you were teaching? My husband and I spent our first year teaching there as well. We had a fabulous time, and couldn’t have asked for a better first year of teaching!
    The point you raise about creating “peaceable digital citizens” and the “impact of actions” are vital in the digital world. Elements like tone in the digital world can be hard to express and can be easily confused or misinterpreted. Thanks for sharing the image, I have never come across it before.
    Cheers,
    Michelle

• jamieout says:

Hi Michelle,

I was teaching in Shenzhen through the Richmond School District. There is a growing need for Canadian teachers in the program and I felt that it would be a great opportunity to travel and experience a new culture. China is quite the place. Where were you located?

3. justine says:

Hey Jamie,
    Welcome to the course.
    I too am interested in ‘digital citizenship’. I think teaching and learning these fundamental skills of online behaviour form the basis for becoming literate in the digital world.
    Thanks for including it,
    Justine