Hashtags for Vibrant Mongolian Twitterverse

Twitter has been widely adopted in Mongolia over the past two years or so. Many politicians are very active on Twitter, often even engaging in conversation that are thus open to the public. I find this a very useful way to keep up with politics in Mongolia.

However, the use of hashtags has not been very common in these tweets making it difficult to find/organize these debates.

Hashtags ending in …poli seem to have gained currency in North America, so I am beginning to use #mngpoli to mark tweets (probably primarily in English) about Mongolian politics, hoping that others may adopt this to help categorize information.

If you have suggestions for alternative/additional hashtags for Mongolia-related tweets, please share them or tweet to me @jdierkes

In the run-up to the June parliamentary election, a hashtag to mark tweets about this will also be very useful. #mngelect perhaps?

About Julian Dierkes

Julian Dierkes is a sociologist by training (PhD Princeton Univ) and a Mongolist by choice and passion since around 2005. He teaches in the Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. He toots @jdierkes@sciences.social and tweets @jdierkes
This entry was posted in Elections, Ikh Khural 2012, Media and Press, Politics, Social Media and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.