Punctuation and Word Separation

canyoureadthissentenceeasilydoyoufindyourselfreadingaloudtomakesenseofthetext

woulditbeeasiertoreadiftherewerespacesbetweenwordsandproperpunctuationifyou

wanttoknowmoreaboutthehistoryofpunctuationandwordseparationintextplease

continuereadingonmywebpage Punctuation and Word Separation

My project can be viewed at http://sabrinaquigleyresearchproject.wordpress.com/

Sabrina

About Sabrina

Hi. I am an elementary teacher at Pangman School in Saskatchewan, Canada. I teach in a multi grade Kindergarten, Grade One and Grade Two classroom. I am currently taking my first MET class. I have my B.Ed. from the University of Regina. I convocated with honours in 2003.

4 Responses to Punctuation and Word Separation

1. kgill says:

Hi Sabrina,
    Great introduction! That is such a clever hook to your website!
    Your project has some similarities to the project I worked on, the origins of silent reading. Before silent reading, people would read orally due to the lack of punctuation and word separation, as it was difficult to read. Although we (my group members and I) slightly brushed on this in our project, it’s nice to read a thorough analysis on this matter.

2. laurenmacd says:

Hi Sabrina!
    I agree that you had a fantastic introduction that hooked me into your site. It was a great read and quite informative, which I really appreciated! Great presentation!
    Cheers!

3. Lisa Nevoral says:

Hi Sabrina,

As mentioned already, great introduction. It shows how hard it would be to read a whole book without punctuation or spacing. In my research on handwriting to typewriting, my partner and I found an article that discussed how handwriting also helped with legibility of text, since words would then be connected.

In your readings for this research project, who were the main contributors for punctuation and word separation after the printing press was introduced? Was it more academically based or were printers leading these changes in spacing?

Good job on your project,

Lisa

4. yuki says:

Hi Sabrina,

The connection between digital communication and punctuation caught my eyes, and I would like to learn more about it. You discussed that the proper punctuation is a cause of clear thinking. Then, would the newer usage of punctuation that digital media brought might be the sign of newer thinking methods? It’s a fascinating topic!

Yuki