The Invention of Photography

Hi there,
Janet and I collaborated on the topic, the “invention of photography”, which includes the invention of photography up until the invention of the digital camera. Given that photography is our topic, would be remiss if we didn’t include images, so we have decided to work with multi-media rather than text alone. Janet has provided a timeline of the invention of photography as well as some information about technology and education. For my contribution, I covered the relationship between “Photography and Literature”, as well as some briefer highlights about changes in literary practice. Both our sections should meet the 2000 word limit (per person).

We chose Prezi (a non-linear, zooming presentation) as the format for this presentation. Click the large play button to begin. We did set a path for this presentation, so if you just keep pressing the play button, you will  progress through the content in a particular. But you can also control your navigation through the presentation by clicking on any items you are interested in exploring. Navigate by pointing, clicking, dragging, and zooming in and out with your mouse wheel. Please let us know, if you encounter any problems or issues.

Best,
Stacey & Janet

Here’s the link: The Invention of Photography

2 Responses to The Invention of Photography

1. Lisa Nevoral says:

Hi Stacey and Janet,

Good job on your project. Using Prezi to zoom in and out was a clever representation of the camera zoom lens. As I am quite often, I was surprised how much a technology changes from it’s initial purposes or functions. Today’s digital camera and it’s uses are quite different from earlier versions. That pictures supplemented text is still seen today, but what I found interesting was that early promotion of pictures or cameras were entirely in text, with no pictures added. I find that when I am doing our readings for this program, pictures or diagrams would possibly help explain things better than when written.

I have yet to introduce using cameras in my classes (other than to take pictures of main ideas on the whiteboard), but I have been looking at a couple of math lessons that incorporate the use of them. As well, I am interested in electronic portfolios for my students, so cameras might be a useful tool for this.

Lisa

• Stacey Boon says:

Thanks for your reply. Math ? Cool I’d be interested to hear your ideas about how to integrate photography!
      Stacey