Multi-Literacies in a Digital Age

Multi-literacies

What motivated you to explore the appliction(s) you used?

I wanted to present a brief description of Multi-Literacies in Technology and decided to try a few different Web 2.0 tools. I first tried SmileBox, but found that it had limited options in the free version and through trial and error, found that I could not manipulate my text as I wanted to. It had nice templates, but they are static and leave little room for arrangement. I then tried Slidebomb. It was easy enough to use and allowed me to insert images and text by cut-and-paste. Again, options are limited, but they were all up front and free to use.

What are the particular affordances (for knowledge mobilization, learning, etc) of the form of production you’ve selected in relation to previous forms of production we’ve considered in this course?

Slidebomb would be a great tool to use in the classroom to motivate students to write and create. It would be easy for students to do digital journals, projects, and other assignments that require text, images, and video. It also has many other slide shows that students can watch for examples, seeing others’ ideas, and for finding information through the search tool.

What are the potential drawbacks?

The main drawback that I found was that it does not allow to add just music to go along with the slide show. I had chosen a piece of music to go along with mine, but found out later that I could not add it. Another drawback would be that it is required to publish your slide show and I did not find an option to share it selectively.